Sunday, July 31, 2011

Why I Rarely Wear Makeup

When I was younger, I asked my mom why she wore makeup. She said when I was older I'd understand. Well now I'm older, but I still don't get it. The most I do on a daily basis, besides wash and moisturize my face, is wear organic powder and curl my eyelashes. I feel this makes me "vaguely presentable" for work. I'm not sure if it's my inherent laziness with a touch of feminism or what, but I know that I will never wear makeup every day.
Here are my reasons:
1. This is what my face looks like. Get used to it.
2. I am not looking to impress anyone or hide behind anything.
3. Makeup is expeeeeennnsive.
4. Makeup is generally full of yummy chemicals. As a rule, I like to keep crap like that off my face - especially around my eyes! (check out the Environmental Working Group's Myths on Cosmetic Safety)
5. I'm gonna wager a guess that since makeup is made in tiny containers and contains yummy chemicals (see above), the production and subsequent associated waste products are not all that great for the environment.
6. Raccoon eyes.
7. My skin breaks out less when I don't wear makeup.
8. One less thing to worry about. I get to skip over the makeup section of magazines!
9. Lighter bag on weekend trips.
10. On that rare "nice occasion" that I do decide to use organic mascara (Not really that great - sacrifice performance for organic I guess.), eyeshadow and blush, you can actually see a difference. "wow you look really nice" is the reaction I'm looking for - not "oh you look the same as you always do." This way, I don't have to try very hard to look extra-special.

No comments: